Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Chosen by God to be a Mom

Now that I am a mother, the story of Mary seems to take on a new light. Before, it was easiest to focus on the angel...the lack of room...the stable...the shepherds rushing to find the baby.


But this year, as I read that familiar account in Luke 2, I found myself reading the words and imagining all those "mom emotions" that I am sure Mary possessed.

In the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a village in Galilee, to a virgin named Mary. She was engaged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of King David. Gabriel appeared to her and said, "Greetings, favored woman! The Lord is with you! 
Confused and disturbed, Mary tried to think what the angel could mean. "Don't be afraid, Mary," the angel told her, "For you have found favor with God! You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you will name Him Jesus. He will be very great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give Him the throne of His ancestor David. And He will reign over Israel forever; His kingdom will never end!
Mary asked the angel, "But how can this happen? I am a virgin."
The angel replied, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High. What's more, your relative Elizabeth has become pregnant in her old age! People used to say she was barren, but she has conceived a son and is now in her sixth month. For the word of God will never fail. 
Mary responded, "I am the Lord's servant. May everything you have said about me come true." And the angel left her. 
A few days later Mary hurried to the hill country of Judea, to the town where Zechariah lived. She entered the house and greeted Elizabeth. At the sound of Mary's greeting, Elizabeth's child leaped within her, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 
Elizabeth gave a glad cry and exclaimed to Mary, "God has blessed you above all women, and your child is blessed. Why am I so honored, that the mother of my Lord should visit me? When I heard your greeting, the baby in my womb jumped for joy. You are blessed because you believed that the Lord would do what He said." 
Luke 1:26-45, NLT

The angel called Mary favored (vs. 30). Elizabeth called her blessed (vs. 45) because she believed that the Lord would do what He said. And Mary was chosen by God to be Jesus' mom.

God picked her to be the one to feed Jesus, rock Him, sing to Him, care for Him, kiss his boo-boos, stay up all night with Him, instruct Him, influence Him. 


I am so thankful that I have been chosen to be Hudson and Nora's mom.


When I pray with them at night, I let them hear me say, "Thank you God, for picking me to be Hudson and Nora's mom."


It's not by chance...God orchestrated the events to place these children in my care, just as He did for all the other moms out there. What a privilege to be chosen by God to influence these little lives. 


At our Christmas Moms Group meeting, we had a mug swap. Each mom brought a mug -some were filled with a sweet treat, a small gift card, an ornament, all kinds of fun things. We traded mugs, each mom picking a new one to take home. I encouraged those moms to think about when you open the cupboard to chose a mug for your coffee. Think about those things that make your favorite mug your favorite...color, handle shape, size, a memory attached to the mug. Whatever the reason, you choose a mug for the purpose of holding your coffee. You choose the one that is best and most fit for use. 

Those thoughts led me to these familiar verses:
In a wealthy home some utensils are made of gold and silver, and some are made of wood and clay. The expensive utensils are used for special occasions, and the cheap ones are for everyday use. If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work. " 
2 Timothy 2:20-21, NLT

Knowing I have been chosen by God to influence and instruct my children...to mother them, I want to make sure that I am a vessel fit for use. Just as you wouldn't choose a dirty mug to drink from, I want to make sure that I am clean (regularly confessing) and close to the Lord, ready for use. 

But as for me, how good it is to be near God! 
I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter, 
and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do.
Psalm 73:28, NLT

I want Jesus to be the natural overflow of my heart. I want to tell my kids the good things He has done. I want them to know that I am better when I am near the Lord. I want them to know He is my shelter. I want to be fit for use, because the Lord has chosen me. 



Deuteronomy 6:6-9 reminds us that it doesn't have to be weird and stuffy...it can just be a part of your daily life. When you get up, when you lie down, when you go down the road, when you sit down to eat...That's how I want to pour Jesus into my children. That's how I want to be fit for His use. 


So, fellow moms out there...remember that you have been chosen by God to be your child's mother and that it is a privilege to be one of the first people to tell them about Jesus. Think about being that fit vessel for use when you pick up your chosen mug for your morning coffee. And commit to actively invest in your children for eternity's sake. 


Christmas is the perfect time to start - Advent simply means "the arrival of a notable person, thing or event." For believers, Advent simply means we are anticipating that arrival of Jesus. It doesn't have to be hard or in depth...just doing something to lead towards the celebration of Jesus' Birthday. 
  1. It could be a devotional reading plan that you are doing on your own. I am using Well Watered Women's Advent study this year and it is amazing to focus on those names of God in Isaiah 9:6.  She Reads Truth has plans to follow. Or this Scripture Writing plan is great as well. Just get in the Word and let it be transforming you, cleaning you, making you fit for use. 
  2. Involve your small children in a countdown for Christmas (Jesus' Birthday). And maybe even bake Jesus a birthday cake.  Add a link to a paper chain each day. Put up numbered ornaments on a Christmas Tree. There are 24 stories from creation to Jesus' birth in the Jesus Story Book Bible - read one each night of December. 

Thank you, God, for picking me to be Hudson and Nora's mom. Conform me into the mom that you want me to be. Adjust my attitude. Help me to be like you. Use me to influence these lives for eternity's sake. Help us to anticipate your birthday this season.


PS. Here's some mug ideas I shared with our Moms Group (in case they weren't coffee drinkers)








And my personal favorite tip...stick your phone in a mug for an instant sound amplifier...

However you use your coffee mug...let it remind you that God has chosen you and wants you to be fit for His honorable use!

No comments:

Post a Comment